It’s hard being stuck at home due to the pandemic. For a few weeks, I felt like life was passing me by. I wasn’t able to explore, to try new experiences, to make plans for the future – everything was just about staying home.
And some of us are still home. And it’s hard. How do you find purpose when your job is to do nothing? How do you feel fulfilled when you can’t go outside?
Firstly, it’s okay if your purpose falls by the wayside or morphs during this period.
I’m definitely not the first person to say something to this effect, but you don’t have to be super productive during this period. Your productivity during this period really depends on your personality type. Some people have been finding that self-medicating with tv, books, naps and so on are the best way for them to cope with physical distancing. For others, action is self-care whether it’s doing the ultimate spring cleaning or working on a new project.
In terms of purpose, either route is fine. You might reframe your purpose as simply making sure that you’re okay. Whether making sure you’re okay is done by giving yourself rest or giving yourself something to do doesn’t matter right now.
- Self-Care During Physical Distancing
- Major Life Changes: How to Deal and Why They’re Good
- People Who Inspire Me
If you’re still at home and you’re ready for something more, you might consider trying these things out:
- Educating yourself on causes that are important to you and taking action.
- Finding charities to donate to.
- Ensuring that home life is awesome since you’re spending much of your time there.
- Doing a deep dive into your wellness routines to ensure that when you start heading outside again you’ll be ready.
- Assessing your life goals from before physical distancing and seeing if those will still apply afterwards.
- Working on that side hustle or hobby you’ve always wanted to try.
Your purpose can be about preparation, virtual action, or something you haven’t had time for before. And then that purpose can change again.
You might benefit from building a perfect day for your current lifestyle! This workbook can help!
Life isn’t passing you by. I felt like that at one time during physical distancing, but you can choose actions that mean something to you. You can choose to adjust your purpose with this season of life to give you that sense of fulfillment and meaning.
Enjoy the journey,