This is the fifth iteration of this post! If you want to check out my past podcast recommendations (I can’t promise I would still recommend them today) click here.
This past year has seen me exploring podcasts in a different manner than before. I’ve been looking to diversify my podcast hosts, and to explore subjects that are less about entertainment and more about being a well informed citizen of the world. Here are my favouites these days:
Katherine Ryan: Telling Everybody Everything
If you’ve heard of Katherine Ryan, you’ll likely know that she’s a comedian, a Canadian-expat living in London, fiercely feminist, and in my opinion extremely funny. She reads email questions from her listeners and helps them with their problems with her special brand of sass.
Just Between Us
The mission of this podcast is to remove stigma. Remove stigma from mental health, sex work, marginalized groups, whatever. Gabby and Allison invite guests from all walks of life to hear their stories, play goofy games with them on the air, and share their thoughts on whatever they feel like chatting about.
The Secret Life of Canada
This CBC podcast explores the less-known historical events that helped build the Canada we have today. Previous topics have included British home children, Kanesatake or the Oka Crisis, and Canadian mythical monsters like sasquatch and Ogopogo.
The Unraveled Life Podcast
Kelsey is a clinical counselor who encourages slow intentional living. This is a great podcast to get you to pause, take a breath, and really consider your mental and emotional well-being.
My favourites this year still seem to be mostly geared towards white women, so here’s a list of honourary mentions to amplify other voices:
- Flow with Berrion Berry – a period podcast!
- Minority Korner – tackling current political events and learning about black history (mostly in the USA)
- Spanish Aqui Presents – four Latinx performers amplifying other Latinx voices
- Still Here Still Healing – a Saskatchewan podcast exploring the stories and repercussions of the residential school system
- Unreserved – a CBC podcast exploring Indigenous news stories
- Wealth Life Balance with Tasha Cochran – building your online business!
Did you know that I provide feel-good recommendations every month in my email newsletter? If you want those and other freebies, sign up here!
What are your favourite podcasts these days?
Enjoy the journey,