One of the greatest realizations I had was that I don’t have to finish reading every book I start.
I KNOW it sounds like book-nerd blasphemy!!
But for real, dropping a book is a huge time-saver, an energy replenisher, and actually a great motivator to speed through more books! Let me explain…
Why you should drop a book without finishing it…
Generally, the reason we think about dropping a book mid-read is because we’re not enjoying it, but still, there’s something that holds a lot of us back. But there are three reasons that it’s okay to drop that book that you don’t even like:
- Time is a non-renewable resource. How much are we all stressing about time? Time to finish your to-do list. Time to see your friends and family. Time before your vacation ends. Time to relax. So if time is so precious, why would you waste it on reading a book you don’t even like? Stop wasting your time on books you don’t like – there are way too many books in the world that you will enjoy for you to waste your time on this one!
- When you finally drop that book, your energy will replenish. It sounds goofy, but I swear it’s true. The last time I dropped a book, the worry of the decision and my grumpiness with trying to plough through it just disappeared! I felt rejuvenated and happy that I had let go of that book.
- You know the feeling when you’re so bogged down in that book you don’t like, so you just kind of stop reading… But when you drop that book, the motivation to read all the books returns! When you read books you like, you want to keep going. When you’re slogging through books you don’t enjoy, you stop reading. Just drop the book!
So when do you drop a book?
You drop a book when you’ve figured out that you’re not enjoying it! That might be after a few terrible pages, after a couple chapters, or even halfway through! You owe this book nothing. Get all Marie Kondo up in there, thank it for helping you realize it doesn’t spark joy, and donate it!
Reasons to drop a book:
- You don’t like the plot.
- You don’t like the writing style.
- You don’t like any of the characters.
- It’s made reading feel like a chore.
- Your reading habits have changed for the worse.
- You wish it was over so you could move on to another book.
Just drop it!
Want to read a free short story by yours truly? Sign up for access!
Shout out to all the authors out there: it’s not that your book is bad, it’s just that it didn’t speak to us!
Have you ever dropped a book you didn’t enjoy? How great did it feel?
Enjoy the journey,